Search

VIC: electrical company fined for unsupervised apprentice

The following article is a news item provided for the benefit of members. Its content does not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Institute of Health & Safety.
Date: 
Thursday, 24 June, 2021 - 12:30
Category: 
Incidents & prosecutions
Location: 
Victoria

An electrical company in Victoria that left a first-year apprentice with only two months’ experience to work unsupervised with live equipment has been convicted and fined $10,000.

Community Energy Group, trading as Space Solar, pleaded guilty in the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court to a single charge of failing to provide the supervision necessary for employees to perform their work safely and without risk to health.

The court heard that on 19 June 2019, two Energy Safe Victoria officers observed solar panels being installed on a property at Craigieburn.

Further inquiries revealed that the apprentice was working unsupervised, installing electrical cables into a live switchboard, and installing solar panels with no edge protection on a double-storey property.

The company’s director, who held a valid electrical licence, had not been on site since earlier that day, the court heard.

The apprentice had no formal training in the work that he was directed to perform. The equipment he was handling at the time was energised.

WorkSafe Victoria executive director of health and safety Julie Nielsen said it was never acceptable for apprentice electricians to undertake work without being effectively supervised by qualified electricians.

“This incident could have easily ended in tragedy,” she said.

“It is vital that inexperienced workers are properly supervised, trained to perform their tasks safely and encouraged to speak up or ask questions if they are unsure or feel unsafe.”