WorkSafe Victoria recently issued a safety alert following an incident involving a near miss when a counterweight hoist failed on a mining site.
A 20-tonne counterweight fell approximately 30 metres from its operating position, and the area below the counterweight was isolated by a fence, resulting in no injuries.
However, the supporting structure was significantly damaged.
The alert said there are a number of steps to reduce the risk of plant failure when establishing, implementing and reviewing their safety management system (SMS) should ensure:
· Risk management systems identify hazards and control risks associated with plant and structures
· Routine inspections of plant and structures are undertaken to ensure good working order
· Plant and structures undergo regular and appropriate maintenance.
Under the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017, the safety alert said mine operators must:
· Identify all mining hazards at their mine and assess the risks to health and safety from those, so far as is reasonably practicable
· Implement risk controls that eliminate or reduce risks
· Establish and implement a sms for the mine which provides a comprehensive and integrated management system for all identified risks.
Unit 2/217-219 Mickleham Rd Tullamarine Victoria 3043