SafeWork SA recently fined a principal contractor $3600 after they failed to review an asbestos register leading to workers carrying out demolition work being exposed to asbestos fibres.
A SafeWork SA investigation found that an asbestos register was readily accessible and had recorded the presence of asbestos for the work area being demolished.
The principal contractor who had control of the workplace failed to review, and if necessary revise the asbestos register prior to the demolition work commencing.
Asbestos has been classified as a known human carcinogen and SafeWork SA said there is sufficient evidence that asbestos causes mesothelioma and other lung diseases.
“Asbestos legislation and licensing exists for the protection of workers and others engaged in such work, and for the protection of the public,” said SafeWork SA executive director, Martyn Campbell.
New asbestos information on demolition and refurbishment obligations is available at the SA Government asbestos website.
Unit 2/217-219 Mickleham Rd Tullamarine Victoria 3043