Search

NSW: major construction safety blitz underway

The following article is a news item provided for the benefit of the Workplace Health and Safety profession. Its content does not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Institute of Health & Safety.
Date: 
Monday, 18 April, 2022 - 12:15
Category: 
Policy & legislation
Location: 
New South Wales

SafeWork NSW is set to crack down on dangerous work practices in the construction industry with a targeted three-month operation across the state.

Inspectors will be on the lookout for unsafe concreting practices, issuing on-the-spot fines of up to $3600 for safety breaches.

NSW Minister for Fair Trading Eleni Petinos said the construction industry employs over 360,0000 people across the state and inspectors will continue to take a zero-tolerance approach to lives being placed at risk from formwork and concrete placing equipment activities.

“Falls from heights is the leading cause of fatalities on NSW construction sites, with falls from formwork being among the top five causes of serious falls reported to SafeWork,” Minister Petinos said.

“An example was in May last year when two workers suffered fractured ribs at a Westmead construction site when an unsupported formwork platform collapsed, causing them to fall over three metres.

“When it comes to concrete placing equipment, the major risks are workers being hit by the hose or concrete, or the boom hitting a structure or powerlines.”

Over the next three months, inspectors will be referring poor quality construction builds to the Office of the Building Commissioner and Fair Trading.