Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) franchisee QSR was recently fined $60,000 in the District Court of NSW following an incident in which a 20-year-old worker slipped in the kitchen while cleaning and suffered serious burns to his leg.
During a morning shift in November 2016, the KFC worker used a ladder to access and clean the canopies of the heating, ventilation and air conditioning system above open cook pots that were heating up oil.
The worker followed the usual method to undertake this task. But on this occasion, an electrical black out occurred in the store.
As the worker tried to come down from his position, his left leg slipped in the cook pot containing hot oil.
The worker suffered third degree burns to his left leg and was treated in hospital. He has since undergone a skin graft to his left leg and has had mobility issues.
The incident was an example of the vulnerability of young and inexperienced people in the workplace and how vital it is that employers equip young workers with the right training and resources, supported by adequate levels of supervision and monitoring, said Executive Director for SafeWork NSW operations, Tony Williams.
“The incident occurred at a workplace with a number of young and vulnerable workers who have limited work experience and may not understand the risks of what they are doing or know how to protect themselves from injury,” Williams said.
“By law, managers or supervisors of young workers have a legal obligation to protect young workers from incidents such as this which are entirely preventable.”