Meat processor fined $130,000 after worker’s hand crushed

The following article is a news item provided for the benefit of members. Its content does not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Institue of Health & Safety.
Date: 
Wednesday, 19 August, 2020 - 12:00
Category: 
Incidents & prosecutions
Location: 
Victoria

A pork processor in Laverton Victoria has been convicted and fined $130,000 after a worker was seriously injured when his arm became trapped in a waste chute in January 2019.

Diamond Valley Pork Pty Ltd pleaded guilty in the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court to failing to adequately guard plant.

The court heard the worker was operating a casing machine when a knife fell into an offal waste chute and he reached in to retrieve it.

The worker’s hand and arm became trapped and crushed by a pneumatic ram situated 45cm below the chute that pushed the waste into a disposal area.

The worker’s hand was able to be reattached, but he remained off work due to medical complications with his rehabilitation, the court heard.

Diamond Valley Pork had identified the risk prior to the incident and installed a guard above the opening of the offal chute, but it was found to be inadequate as it still allowed employees to access the danger area.

Within a day of the serious injury, the company installed a different guard that prevented access to the danger area below the waste chute.

WorkSafe Victoria executive director of health and safety Julie Nielsen said safety around plant and machinery should not be left to the discretion of workers.

“It is up to employers to ensure the highest level of protection,” she said.

“This includes the fitting of appropriate guards or barriers so moving parts cannot be touched or accessed while the machine is operating.”