Steve Gibbs, CPMSIA represents the Safety Institute of Australia Ltd (SIA) on Standards Committee EL-036 and has advised that the public comment period on draft of AS/NZS 3760 "In-service safety inspection and testing of electrical equipment", closes on the 12th Februrary 2010.
This draft is a revision of AS/NZS 3760:2003, and specifies procedures for the safety inspection and testing of low voltage single phase and polyphase electrical equipment, connected to the electrical supply by a flexible cord and/or connecting device.This draft also includes fixed RCDs and portable inverters.
NOTE - Additional requirements for portable generators are covered by AS/NZS 3012.
Typical examples of equipment covered by this draft are:
1. Portable, hand-held and stationary appliances, designed for connection to the low voltage supply by a flexible cord and plug;
2. Cord sets, cord extension sets and outlet devices (also known as electrical portable outlet devices, EPODs or power boards);
3. Flexible cords connected to fixed equipment in hostile environments;
4. Portable safety isolation transformers (includes power adaptor/plug-pack, both of the transformer and switch-mode type);
5. RCDs - portable type (PRCD), socket outlet type, and fixed switchboard type;
6. Battery chargers including commercial and industrial;
7. Portable and transportable heavy duty tools such as high pressure washers and concrete grinders. Input direct to Standards Australia using the attached document, is invited.