Print Share

Australia wins bid to host 2023 world congress for safety & health at work

Date: 
Monday, 24 September, 2018 - 11:00
Category: 
Media release
Location: 
National News

After a three-year long bidding process led by the Safety Institute of Australia, it has been announced that the World Congress for Safety and Health at work will be run in Sydney, in 2023.

The Congress will be held at the International Convention Centre Sydney, where work health and safety experts, regulators, government and private authorities will collaborate and discuss different approaches to work health and safety. Business Events Sydney (BESydney) initially approached the Safety Institute of Australia who agreed to create and pitch Australia’s case for the bid, with backing at the time from SafeWork NSW and the ACTU.

Speaking at the SIA’s Annual general meeting, Institute Chairman Patrick Murphy said “Our task as a wider community is to constantly strive for better health and safety outcomes in workplaces. This means both learning from others, and sharing our own knowledge.  We work in a global marketplace, and a component of the Institute’s work is in that marketplace.”

 “We sought to have this Congress in Australia because gives us a tremendous opportunity for a genuine exchange of ideas and knowledge. We want to showcase Australian health and safety practice to the world, and at the same time, in the knowledge that we are always learning, we want to explore what is being achieved in other countries and learn from that.  I’m very proud of the hard work done at the Institute to create the opportunity for this to occur” Mr Murphy said.

In a separate release, Australian Minister for Small and Family Business, Skills and Vocational Education, Senator Michaelia Cash said last week when announcing the Commonwealth had accepted the offer to run the event “Our nation’s small businesses are responsible for the workplace health and safety of over 44 per cent of Australia’s private workforce and we are delighted to be able to showcase their leading occupational practices”

BESydney CEO Lyn Lewis-Smith said “This will be the first time Australia has hosted this World Congress, which will attract up to 4000 professionals from 120 countries, injecting $10 million directly into the State economy.”

##ENDS##

MEDIA CONTACT
Contact:             David Clarke
Tel.                      (03) 8336 1995    0416 156 923
Email:                 ceo@sia.org.au

About Safety Institute of Australia Ltd
The Safety Institute of Australia Ltd is Australia’s peak body for the health & safety profession. Established more than 60 years ago, our membership comprises more than 4,000 individuals, many of whom work in the field as Health and Safety Representatives, or OHS practitioners and professionals. Our vision is to harness the capabilities of the vast body of people working within the field, to work towards the elimination of workplace injury, illness and death.