Search

ACT: safety alert issued after workers falls from height at event

The following article is a news item provided for the benefit of the Workplace Health and Safety profession. Its content does not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Institute of Health & Safety.
Date: 
Monday, 2 May, 2022 - 12:30
Category: 
Policy & legislation
Location: 
Australian Capital Territory

WorkSafe ACT recently issued a safety alert reminding event organisers of their work health and safety obligations following a serious safety incident at the Groovin the Moo festival in late April.

A worker fell from a height greater than five metres and suffered significant but non-life-threatening injuries, and it is understood the worker has been released from hospital and is recovering at home.

In an unrelated incident at the same event, a PCBU was issued a prohibition notice relating to an amusement ride due to record-keeping inconsistencies. The notice has since been lifted.

The regulator said PCBUs organising events must ensure that they are aware of their obligations where high-risk plant, fireworks or other regulated activities are proposed.

It is the responsibility of PCBUs to identify all hazards, assess and control risks, and review control measures, regularly.

It is also the responsibility of the PCBU to ensure appropriate approvals from WorkSafe ACT are in place. Failure to gain approvals may result in activities or events being prohibited.

ACT Work Health and Safety Commissioner, Jacqueline Agius said persons conducting a business or undertaking (PCBUs) and the ACT community to always put safety first.

“It’s great to see events like Groovin the Moo come to the Territory and we want everyone to be able to celebrate with the knowledge that they will be kept safe,” said Agius.

“The terrible experience this worker has gone through shows how important work health and safety obligations are. I am just relieved this fall did not result in permanent injury or worse because quite frankly, we are very lucky it didn’t.

“We have so far conducted over 2900 workplace visits across the Territory this financial year and we encourage all workers and the Canberra community to speak up if their workplace doesn’t look safe or is not following safety procedures.”